Thursday, June 18, 2009

Nitty Gritty: Bella


I'd love to get some discussions going about some of the criticisms leveled at the Twilight series and the characters therein. I thought we could start with:

Bella Swan, our heroine.

I'm going to list some of the criticisms I've heard, and my opinion of them. Feel free to comment on them, or share your own criticisms.

1. Bella is shallow; she only likes good-looking people. Her relationship with Edward is based solely on her opinion of his looks.
My comment: The fact that Bella describes people in positive and negative terms doesn't make her shallow. Saying that someone has "bad skin" isn't a nasty, shrewish criticism, it's a fact. She's 17. Many teenagers, boys and girls, are very concerned with appearances. (Add to that, she's the narrator, so if she didn't ever describe anyone, we wouldn't know what anyone looks like.) Edward's looks do play a huge role in her initial attraction to him, but how is that abnormal or bad?

2. Bella is rude and spoiled, especially where her parents are concerned.
My comment: I've never gotten this one. She calls the father she barely knows by his first name sometimes: how terrible. She calls the irresponsible, scatterbrained mother she's practically raised by her first name: rudeness beyond compare. She complains about moving to Forks: again, not seeing it. This is one I really think is reaching. I've never known a teenager to be 100% respectful and polite 100% of the time, especially in their private thoughts (which is what we're getting with Bella's narration). Nope, I think Bella handles the adults in her life pretty well, considering how they've handled her.

3. Bella is a bad friend who only likes people when it is convenient.
I imagine this criticism extends to three people: Mike, Angela, and Jessica. Certainly Bella's post-breakup breakdown in New Moon isn't really conducive to good friendship, but other than that, I'm not sure. Bella seems to be an introvert who doesn't make close friends easily, and her friendship is taken up with Alice and Edward himself. I think Bella and Angela are fairly good friends throughout. Mike and Jessica were never really her friends to begin with, so I discount them.

4. Bella's acceptance of Edward's treatment of her is tantamount to condoning abuse.
Ah, here it is. The primary reason some people are screaming for this series to be banned, burned, or whatever you do with books you think no one should be allowed to read. I've read this series several times, and I have to say it: I don't believe Bella and Edward have an abusive relationship. Each of them make mistakes, but that happens. No one enters their first serious relationship and performs perfectly. Edward does cross the line into controlling during Eclipse, but recognizes his mistake. Unfortunately, I think too many read things into this relationship that simply aren't there.

If you have time, leave a comment below!

-Deb

7 comments:

  1. I'd comment, but I think you already said it all :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that some of the criticisms of Bella and Edward's relationship stem from the fact that Meyer portrays them as real people. They do not have the omniscient understanding of the fictional narrator. They both say things that the other misunderstands and then they have to work out the misunderstanding. Does this sound at all familiar to anyone with a real world relationship?
    Edward does get controlling, but I think he suffers from anxiety. Somehow he is not immune to human problems, and I think maybe people expect him to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never got the Bella being rude to her parents thing... she takes on a lot of the chores at home (cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc) and is rather concerned and affectionate towards Charlie, even if she barely knows him.

    I think a lot of it is in how she is raised... her mother was flighty and irresponsible. It was up to Bella to take care of her. So, she has this fix-it mentality where she takes on a lot of responsibility she shouldn't, because that's what she had to do with her mother.

    She also doesn't mesh well with people her age because being reponsible for her mother has made her more mature than them. She can hang out and dish and have girl time, but she also worries and frets, etc. Know what i mean?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i totally agree with evertihing you said because it is all true and i just dont understand most of the criticisms made to bella or especially edward

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bella is not a heroine.
    BELLA IS EPIC FAIL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought she was rather rude in Twilight. Here is an example: Mike is being nice to her, following her around the school and talking to her which I thought she should be happy about. But no; in her head, she compares him to a dog. This was a rather arrogant thought in my head.

    And btw, Edward`s looks plays a huge role in their ENTIRE relationship!! Even in BD she cannot get over how perfect he looks. I mean, it`s normal for a teenager to think like that, but I think the focus is too much on his looks in comparison to his personality. It just became too dumb for me, but then again, that`s just my opinion. I used to love these books, but now I`ve just grown out of them.

    ReplyDelete